How to Find and Respond to SNAP Leads - Email Templates and Phone Scripts Follow
What is the Best Process to Respond to a SNAP Lead?
SNAP leads are organic visitors to your website. Therefore, use the same exact process you use to follow-up with your website leads. From our experience, the best BDC’s use a combination of phone calls, emails (specific to the trade opportunity), and SMS (if you use any texting program).
Timing is everything and SNAP leads provide you all the information you need to be confident and prepared with your follow-up process. SNAP does NOT collect ad-hoc consumer comments but piles great information into the comments field of each lead including:
- Consumer information
- What device the consumer was using when they submitted a lead (Phone, Tablet, or Desktop) - therefore if a Phone, call them ASAP!
- IP detected location of the consumer when they submitted a lead
- And, the all-important link to allow you to view the same SNAP Market Report the consumer just viewed
The best process is to:
1. READ THE LEAD: Look at the comments and view the Market Report
2. Day 1: Call the customer - use a trade-first phone script (see next section)
3. Day 1: Email the customer - use a trade-first email (see next section0
4. Day 2: Call the customer
5. Day 4: Call the customer
6. Day 4: Email the customer
Just remember 1-2-4-8-16-32-64 - or, whatever frequency you use for all website leads!
Note: If you use SMS as part of your follow-up, work that into the same schedule you are calling the lead.
SNAP Leads in eLead
SNAP Leads sent via email to eLeads
SNAP Leads in DealerSocket
Email Templates to Respond to a SNAP Lead
Email is a critical element of any follow-up process BUT not the only element. You will not be as successful as possible if you rely on automated email follow up. Period. We always recommend a trade-first email and below are three examples and the inclusion of any variable elements that your CRM may allow.
This is <SALES_PERSON_NAME>. I will be your <DEALERSHIP_NAME> market advisor. I see that you have accessed a SNAP market report on your <YEAR_MAKE_MODEL>. I want to make sure you have all of the information that you need, whether you are selling or trading your car and can walk you through the Market Report in a few minutes.
Whether you are selling or trading your car we are interested in buying it. Our pre-owned department is in need of as many vehicles as we can get. We are often able to pay over market value, if you would like a no obligation offer for your car call me or email me and I will set up an appointment for you to meet with one of our professional appraisers. They only need 15 minutes with you and your car in order to give you a firm cash offer. At that point you can choose to either sell us the car, trade us the car or walk away.
Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I look forward to helping you.
Thank you for contacting <DEALERSHIP_NAME> and for using our trade appraisal tool for your <YEAR_MAKE_MODEL>. As nice as it is to have an idea of what your vehicle may be worth, most of our customers tell us they would prefer having a cash offer instead of a range.
That's why I'm reaching out to you today. My goal is to give you a real number you can take to the bank, whether you buy a car from us or not. Having this important piece of the puzzle makes the buying/shopping process that much easier and allows you to focus on the most important thing of all.... finding the perfect vehicle for you
I would like to invite you out to have one of my buyers take a look at your vehicle which will take less than 15 minutes of your time.
If at any point you would like to talk about your trade, the vehicles you are considering, or anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to call, text, or send me an email anytime.
Thank you for the opportunity!
My name is <INSERT_NAME> and I'm the Pre-Owned Sales Manager at <DEALERSHIP_NAME>.. Thank you again for requesting a market value on your car. We are very interested and would like to know more about you and your car. A cash appraisal takes only a few minutes and if you could bring a few items along with your vehicle so we can issue immediate payment to you upon your visit...
- Both sets of keys and the owner's manual
- Any service records for the vehicle unless the maintenance all done at the dealership
- Name of the bank (if any) that we need to pay off before obtaining title
- Copy of your current registration
It is my \ hope that you and I can speak soon so that I might make you a cash offer for your vehicle, even if you don't buy from us. I can assure you that throughout your experience, you will find each member of our dealership team professional and courteous.
I look forward to speaking with you soon
Phone Scripts to Utilize and Train in Response to a SNAP Lead
Keep in mind, this lead can be either a.) a first-point-of contact for a shopper that has not engaged with your dealership yet or b.) a duplicate lead that is a shopper providing more information about his next-purchase profile and potential buying/selling triggers.
By virtue of the tool being new, simple, and only available on your website, consumers do seek to understand additional market data to frame what their vehicle may be worth.
“Are you considering replacing your 20XX Make Model Trim or are just thinking of selling it?”
- Simple either or question. There is a 90% chance if the customer was trying to determine the value of their car, they are interested in one of these options.
“Tell me more about your 20XX Make Model Style Trim?”
- This question is unanimously the strongest opening to engage the consumer to discuss more about their current vehicle and discover what they plan on doing for their next vehicle
“What are your plans to replace your 20XX Make Model?”
- Short, simple, open ended
“When would you be able to bring your 20XX Make Model in for a formal appraisal?”
“Would you sell your car to us if we gave you what you are looking for?”
What we have found is the simple open ended questions generate the best conversational responses to convert the lead into a shopper.
What Type of Closing Rates and Appointment Show Rates Should You Expect?
This is a common question and we have ran multiple pilots across dozens of stores. The short answer is that SNAP leads should perform at or slightly better than your other website leads. SNAP leads are not leads from a 3rd party shopping site. They are simply the contact information attached to the vehicle a consumer owns who was on your website. Perhaps the consumer got to your website through organic Google Search. Perhaps they came there after clicking through an ad on Facebook. All SNAP leads are unique to you and your process is what matters most to turn those leads into appointments and those appointments into cars sold and vehicles acquired.
We find closing rates do increase over time. After 90 days you should normalize at about the same rate as your website leads. Some dealers are better than others.
What we know is through 17 stores and a 120 day period they were able to:
- Sell 12.8% of SNAP leads another car
- Set appointments for a formal appraisal with 28% of SNAP leads
- Read the lead and click the link in the comments section of the lead to see the Market Report they customer just viewed
- Does the car have high miles vs. others in the market?
- Does the car have lower miles vs. others in the market?
- Are there a lot of those cars within a short radius?
- Is the demand index high? Is the demand index low?
- Hover over the demand index to see how long it usually takes to sell that car
- Call the lead immediately
- Talk to the customer about their car
- Ask them good open-ended questions as discussed before
- Email the lead
- Text the lead
- Call the lead again - GET THE APPOINTMENT!
Your 2008 Mustang looks amazing and part of my job is to find great cars. I’d love to give you a cash offer, when you can you come in? I want to buy your car.
I Want Professional Help With Our Process, Who Do You Recommend?
There are stellar process trainers in the automotive industry. Some not only train but establish and monitor all processes. Below are a few folks that have especially refined processes in working with TRADEPENDING Leads.
- CRM Backstop / Kirin Consulting
- Pasch Consulting Group
- Kain Automotive
- Dynamic Beacon
- Lighthouse Website Management